Monday, May 2, 2011

Preparing for surgery

Typical me, I have a long to-do list to accomplish before Evie has her surgery and gets her cast. I couldn't find a comprehensive list online anywhere, so for anyone reading this who is preparing too, here is what is on my mind.
  1. Reserve special carseat through the hospital. Babies in spica casts don't fit in normal carseats. And to save the expense of buying one, most children's hospitals have rental programs. But how awesome is this: the hospital will bring a carseat to her room on Thursday, and then all I do is leave it *at the doctor's office* whenever she gets the cast off. I don't pay a thing, just sign a paper saying that they can charge me if I run off with it. Love this.
  2. Order some clothes that she can wear. This is the hardest thing, because what the heck will fit with this ginormous cast?! I actually think I might buy or borrow a sewing machine so that I can make some alterations to larger sized things like pants or skirts to fit around her cast. But I did find some onesies that will fit here: http://spicawear.com. Unfortunately, www.babyhipwear.com is between seamstresses and doesn't have much available. 
  3. Buy a beanbag. I've seen online that this seems to be the seating option of choice since it can be molded around your baby's unique-spica-cast shape. I found a light pink one at Target, but it's sort of flimsy so we'll see if it will work.
  4. Make a Target run. On this list are:
    1. Size 1, 2, 4, and 5 diapers. Seems like a trial and error process to see what works (Evie is in size 3 diaper now and we have a ton already, otherwise I'd be buying those too). I bought Pampers BabyDry for the size 1&2 but Target brand for size 4&5 since it doesn't really matter how absorbent they are (they will be around the outside).
    2. Duct tape, electrical tape, or any other kind of waterproof tape to use around the edges of the cast (supposedly you can find these in bright colors that match the cast. We'll see). Note: I did find lots of colors at Target. They even had animal prints and hello kitty options. I did not go for those. I've heard that Nexcare makes good tape but Target did not have it.
    3. Poise or Depends. Yes, for my 6 month old baby. Supposedly putting a pad in with the diaper can help with absorption if you're using a smaller sized diaper. And I've seen pictures on others' blogs of lining the edges of the cast with pads for soaking up any moisture and for comfort.
    4. A few random sized pillows to use in the crib to prop up her legs and nestle around her.
    5. Pants and shirts that are 2 sizes too big (for Ev, that means 18-24 month size) to experiment with dressing her.
    6. Infant painkillers, both acetaminophen and ibuprofen. 
Two big things will need to wait until after the surgery:
  1. High chair: I've heard that Stokke Tripp-Trapp high chairs work, and there is also an option that seems like it would work on www.adaptivemall.com, but it also seems to totally depend on the angle at which her hips and legs are bent in the cast. We're going to hold off on this since all the options are expensiveo. 
  2. Stroller: We were all excited before last week to get a Baby Jogger City Mini. Now we don't know what she'll fit in. Some umbrella strollers are said to work, and there is a brand of strollers made for special needs kids called Happy Tomato that might work. Again, we'll have to wait and see, and hope between this and the high chair we don't totally break the bank.
And a couple things that I would do, but already have/ have done:
  1. Help her prepare to sleep in the cast. First is to get her to sleep at a slight incline. She already does this, actually, because mild reflux and congestion plagued us early on and she got used to it. I have a couple pillows under the mattress on one end, and have a quilt under that is rolled so that it sort of cups her body & face (and so she can't roll over). She has a boppy pillow under her bottom to keep her from scooting down. Also is to get her sleeping without being swaddled (because the cast is high, I can't imagine how uncomfortable it would be to have her arms along her side). Until three days ago, I was a nervous nancy because she has *never* slept not swaddled. But God is gracious and good and a few days ago, she just randomly would break out of her swaddle and fall fast asleep quickly. Yay!
  2. Get a carrier that we can use. We have the Ergo and I'm hoping that will work.
Oh, and also the obvious - preregister at the hospital, prepare a long list of questions for the nurse or surgical coordinator at the orthopedic surgeon, and pray like crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment